Friday, December 19, 2008

Chilling in Cairo (Day 4) - Hana & Hisham's Engagement

Today is the day of Hana and Hisham's engagement. It was also the day T arrives in Cairo.

Dad had been insistent that I should go to the airport to pick him up. It started as a joke and he repeated himself over n over until it became an order. "The wife should go to the airport to pick her husband up." I wasn't prepared to be at the airport at 6am.
- The girls and A. Najia said Dad was dead serious and that I shld not tell him that I finally din go. But T and I did not want to lie to him.

(Yes, the in-laws may be westerners but are both very traditional. The MIL would have insisted upon it too in the same situation).

The gals and I had gone to bed at midnight the night before and as much as we wanted to sleep in, I was awoken by T's call to say he had arrived and the driver wasn't there yet. So I went to wake the gals (both of them had slept on Hana's bed) and they thought I was T. Finally, I joined them in bed for a bit before getting out of bed to wait for T's arrival back home. Hana woke up saying, "I'm getting married today!"

We chilled out with the folks for a bit when Dad woke up before us youngsters left to the Marriot for a bite.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Thank you Sus for this lovely Christmas present! I wanted to keep it till after Christmas but this was the perfect opportunity to use it so I got T to bring with him.

Photobucket

Then we came home for a little nap before the Elawadi family started arriving around 7.30pm. Hisham's family came at around 8.30pm. Hana was stressing and shaking with nervousness and feeling embarrassed by all the attention.

Photobucket
When I look at this picture again, it reminds me of David & Victoria Beckham (obviously when she still had that long hair! haha)

Photobucket

Photobucket
My Fashionista husband

Photobucket

It was quite an experience - both families (parents, siblings, uncles, aunties, cousins) came together and met for the first time. Tea, Coffee and juice were served, blessings given to the couple, a verse from the Koran is said, rings and gifts exchanged before digging in to yummy Morrocan dinner.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tomoro will be the big party - Hana and Hisham had invited 200 guests - apparently, a stark contrast from today's formal, family-only, non-alcoholic and be-on-best-behavior mood.

I have mastered the art of spacing out in the last few days. Apart from snapping pictures and having Heba beside me, the rest of the night was carried out in Arabic. Finally, tiredness, boredom and the COLD got to me so I came into the room (where I had left the heater on) to snap pics of my hair! haha. I still can't get used to it!
What do you think?

When I had just got dressed, I looked at myself in the mirror and felt as if I just walked out of a Shanghai Tang movie or maybe even an old Chinese style brothel (EEW!). I felt soooo CHINESEEE... (Tarek says "DUH")

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's 1am here now... 6am in Vietnam and 7am in Singapore. Tarek is dead asleep next to me (jet lag) and I am dying of exhaustion myself. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Holly Jean said...

your hair is lovely dear.