I have survived the journey to Cairo!
The whole anticipation to this trip had been part excitement and part nervousness. Not that I didn’t want to be with his family. It’s just that I am afraid of giving the wrong impression – that I am a snob when I am only being shy. Tarek says that I should work on it but I said I’m just not comfortable around people anymore and on most days, prefer to be an antisocial that hides behind the comfort of four walls.
When I was waiting for the cab to take me to the airport, I started feeling knots in my stomach. “This is it! I’m really going!”
Alas, it was all uncalled for (fingers still crossed). I managed to find my way around at the Bangkok airport – by asking directions to the check-in counter for my connecting flight to Cairo on Egypt Air.
- I had been afraid that I would lose my way.
Once I’ve checked in, I spent my transit time at the bookshop buying tabloid magazines. I tried to look for a nice book to buy but I couldn’t find anything that really caught my eye – even though I must have gone through every book on the shelf twice!
Then I had to stop at the duty free to buy alcohol for Hana (she had asked to get 2 Whiskeys and 2 Champagnes for her engagement party). I was told that I could buy unlimited alcohol. Between the alcohol and my hand carry, I couldn’t decide which was heavier! I was struggling to walk and gave up the idea of grabbing some thing at Burger King just because of the load.
In the plane, I struggled to put my stuff up the cabin compartment – it was like a little kid trying to reach into mummy’s top shelf. I had to ask for assistance. On both flights I was seated alone! Awesome!!! I was worried about being seated next to old man on my 10hr flight and was more than happy to spread myself out as I slept horizontally for most part of the journey.
When we landed, I had to ask for assistance to take my luggage down before proceeding to struggle, balance and keep from tripping down the flight of stairs to get to the bus that would take us to the main terminal.
- I landed at 5.45am local time and it was 13 degrees outside! *Grrrr
Once there, I had to be on high alert for a guy who will be calling out my name “Joanne Elawadi” and assisting me with the immigration. In Egypt, it’s all about connections and my father-in-law HAS Connections. So I had this guy who helped me to buy my VISA and get my passport stamped at the immigration while another guy walked me right through to wait for my luggage. I was told that I had to tip the guys about 20 Egyptian pounds each. I gave the guy 100 pounds to pay for my 15 pound Visa (I din have any smaller note) and he came back with only 15 pound change! I assumed that he had already kept the rest as tips so I left it as that.
Once outside, the family’s new driver was holding up a sign with my name “Joanne Tan Elawadi” to take me home. I got to the house around 6.30am and I was shocked to see Heba at the door with a big hug and warm welcome for me. I had assumed that everyone would still be asleep. That was very nice!
After I finished unpacking, I came to sit in the hall with my laptop to join her (she is also on her laptop). Hana is in Dubai and will only be back tomorrow. Aunty Najia got up at 8plus and we sat around chatting over a cup of coffee for a bit. Later, I’m going to do my hair with Heba and she’s asked me to join her tomorrow at a photoshoot for her new collection. I’m so excited!
- More on Chilling in Cairo with the Elawadi-s later.
PS: It's CHILLLYYYYYY here... so while I am chilling ... I am freezing my ass off. And the stupid husband told me it will be warm in the day and only cold at night so I din bring enough warm clothes! So much for bringing half my wardrobe of dresses, spaghs and shorts here. zzzzz
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment