Grandma is the only one to date who gives me the occasional reality check and put me back in place.
When I call home to complain abt being bored here, she will be the one to remind me that I chose to marry so far away from home and that I shouldn't keep running back to Singapore or else my husband won't be happy. And when I get overwhelmed with the baby, she'd remind me that she had to do everything by herself before - cook, clean and take care of us. Even when I suggested once that I would hire a nanny when the baby starts walking, she went "for what? You are not working, you can look after."
*I love her honesty*
Otherwise, I have just been getting lots of advice (friends here and in Singapore) to hire a nanny. "You need a life!" and "Don't try to save your husband money!". Well, I can't say I haven't been tempted or that I've been contemplating that notion a lot more lately.
Which is why, meeting Claudia last evening was very refreshing. She came to exchange stickers - I'm not the only one doing this for a husband! It's like she gave me a pat on the shoulder, filled my ears with all the things I wanted/needed to hear and reassured me that I am doing the right thing... and that I will survive!
She was once a successful lawyer who also gave lectures at school. But she gave that up to raise her 2 daughters by herself when her husband was relocated to USA (she found out she was pregnant with her 1st child then). And she said she has never once regretted. Yes, there are times when it's tiring and lonely, but the rewards are plenty. "You only have 2 years of quality time before they are off to play school, nursery etc. And before you know it, they are all grown up and doesnt need mummy or tell you they need their space. So treasure the time you have with him."
Plus, a child raised by his own mother may be better disciplined than one raised by a nanny who's "JOB" is to simply feed and take care the baby. She finds her daughters are more willing to learn, more well-behaved and most of all, closer to the parents than friends/family whose kids have been raised by someone else.
Which is all TRUE TRUE TRUE. I enjoy every min of motherhood (except the lack of sleep and personal time part).
I am really grateful to the prep talk and am already looking forward to "have coffee" with her once in a while (her daughters are 11 and 6 yrs old and she is slightly older than me) .. she'll be great for a "pick me up" on the days when I lose confidence!
PS: No offence to the Working Mums who have no choice but to leave their babies in the care of others because of financial issues. I count my blessings that I don't have to worry about that and have the luxury to be a Stay at home Mum. M'shahallah
I guess I was born wanting to be a mother - I already had nurturing instincts with dolls, my baby cousins and all my friends' kids here in Vietnam. I feel it's my greatest achievement to date. And I'm most proud that I'm taking care of my son 100% - no nanny, no parents, no in-laws. Something that not many modern women can do today.
I love being a mother n taking care of my son!
Every min with him is precious time together, although I admit there are (many) times when I'd leave him next to me (on the floor or in the cot) to play on his own so I cn get on my computer. And of cos, there are also those days when I get a little overwhelmed, occasionally resentful and countless of times near breakdown (had a few "emotional breakdowns already). Those are the days when I lose confidence, wish I had some support (family close by to tell me it's ok or just to take over the baby for a couple of hours and let me stand up again).
But like everything else, there are always ups and downs in life. What's important is that it's all worth it.
Everything revolves around babies these days - where I go, who I hang out with.
Maybe I'm a traditionalist at heart... Or Maybe I just love MummyHood.
It's the honest truth!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment