Monday, November 24, 2008

Books that tug at your Heartstrings

I just started a new book... it's so good that I find it hard to put down but I'm trying not to finish all my books so quickly... Am running out of books here.
(I always stock up when I go back to Singapore. They do not have proper bookshops here, much less good English books).

This is my first Jodi Picoult book - My Sister's Keeper and I'm already drawn by the author, so much so that I almost want to collect n read all her novels.

(I mentioned in one of my earliest blogs last year that my all time favorite author is Nicolas Sparks. I love him because he is able to capture emotions so well... his books talk of a deeper love, not the trashy romance, While reading his books, I've experienced real joy, laughter, pain, tears ... real emotions... almost as if I was a part of the story).

Similar to Nicholas Sparks, I feel that Jodi Picoult writes very beautiful stories. She focuses on difficult moral choices, backing up her subjects with meticulous research and creates a kind of emotional ride that makes u wonder what you would have done in the exact same situation. (Although, some of them are so depressing that I wonder if I should read happier books instead of letting myself get absorbed into a disturbing situation, even if it's for the context of a story).

Take for example, My Sister's Keeper. It is about a mother who finds out that her 2 yr old daugher is diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia. The only option, was to create another baby, specially and genetically designed to save her sister. Not only does Kate live, but she gets a beautiful new daughter, Anna, too. Until one day, at age 13, Anna decided that she doesnt want to help Kate live any more. She is suing her parents for the rights to her own body.

Here are some of her other books:

The Mercy
The love of your life
asks for your help to die.

The Pact
Your son says they both meant to die.
But he lived.

Keeping the Faith
You don't believe in God.
But your daughter is talking to angels.

Plain Truth
Your baby is born in secret.
If your father finds him, you will lose everything.

Salem Falls
The man you love is accused of rape.
It's not the first time.

Perfect Match
Your son has been deeply hurt.
You know the courts won't bring you justice

Second Glance
The love of your life is dead.
In that moment, you lost every reason to live.

Vanishing Acts
Your father is arrested for kidnapping.
You were the child he stole.

The Tenth Circle
Your daughter says she was raped.
But the man she's accused was her boyfriend.

What would you do?

No comments: