Monday, January 26, 2009

My Virgin Ski Attempt

We did our first ski lessons today. It's A. Najia, Heba and my virgin ski attempt. Dad, Tarek and Hana have skiied before.

Photobucket

While we were all learning from the instructor, T who was going to snowboard instead of ski this trip, took videos of us with his new video camcorder (I had also given him my camera and told him to snap away!). T had signed us all for beginners lessons except for himself.

Photobucket

The only downside was the walk from the sports shop, where we had left our rented ski gear. It was so bloody far away to where the instructor was meeting us and taking us! I think that nearly killed us girls. Heba wanted to give up. I was on auto-pilot convincing myself "mind over matter".

Here's why:
- we were walking in our ski boots which were very uncomfortable and super heavy to walk.
- while trying not to slip on the slippery icy ground
- and the ski gear that we had to carry was darn heavy

Aside from that, skiing was fun. We only had 2hrs of lesson today and we learnt the very basics - how to move around and how to slow down and come to a stop.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tarek was really impressed by me... I was good.. at the little that we did today and I must say, I didn't fall! A. Najia fell soooo much that she must hate skiing right now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After our lessons, we stopped for lunch before A. Najia and Heba gave up and went off. T, myself, Dad and Hana took the cable car up again to the top of the mountain. They were all in an adventurous mood but I chickened out... I tried twice to come down on the steep slopes and I couldnt stop. I fell once and another 2 times I had to crash into Hana and then Tarek to stop. So finally, I just sat in the snow until everyone got bored. I mean, I am still a beginner right? Plus I'm just not comfortable (or confident) to go down a steep slope where I can't see where it ends.

It was a really great first attempt... but the walk back again totally killed me. The walking with all the heavy gear was soooo torturous I felt like crying. I wanted to just give up, sit down and throw a tantrum. I haven't exercised in over 10 years and my lungs and heart were giving up on me. I just felt so constricted, so claustrophobic with all the thick clothes and gear weighing down on me.

Now that we are all home and chilling out... we are beginning to feel the start of the aches that will soon build up over the next few hours/days. Wish us luck!

No comments: