Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 2 - Still Not Impressed

It's not even half a day gone yet... I know I should be more patient.

I've been up since 6.30am. Made breakfast for the husband (since I'm already up) and went with the maid to the local wet market.

She made her first mistake by mopping from the ground level. I asked her if she has wiped the surfaces (on the ground level... give n take some) and she said yes. That was obviously a lie cause I had already moved some frames and detected dust lying around.

Then she started loitering and cleaning up in the kitchen and I told her to stop wat she is doing and go up with me. "I already said, clean from the top. U must always clean from the top!" And once again, she only carried up a pail and floor detergent. I'm like, "what about the rest of the cleaning stuff?"

So I set about the morning watching her every move, correcting her and showing her how it should be done and pointing out areas she missed (which is a lot! All the things she said she has done yesterday were obviously not done. The balconies weren't washed, the toilet bowls & bath tubs weren't cleaned).

It was rather nice waking up early in the morning and breathing in the morning fresh air and breeze. I think I should make it my once a week practice and while doing work with the maid, I can get some exercise as well.

Why not make it a habit and do it daily, since I can forget about sleeping in when peanut arrives ... I might as well get used to it? Well, because I really should enjoy sleeping in before the baby comes along. It's a luxury that is ticking away like a time bomb.


Based on the morning's experience, I'm already in half a mind not to keep her past her probabtion. I feel like I've to physically watch her for her to do as I request. If not, she will just do a half fuck job or pretend that she's unaware and then everytime I ask if she's done, she always says yes... even though I know she hasn't.

e.g. she claims she has wiped the surface of the window sill ... when I moved all my display items and showed her (the evidence) and asked her how she could have possibly cleaned it... she still insisted she already cleaned it.

Anyways, I still tried to encourage her... Doing it the way I want her to, she has already completed 2 levels before noon. And then at noon, she can cook us lunch and proceed to clean the ground level, outside porch area and garage and iron in the afternoon. That leaves her plenty of time versus her stupid inefficient way of going up n down all day.

M, I need to make sure she is doing things the right way. It's a good thing that I spent the last 2 days observing her... already found sooo many faults and areas that are overlooked. The first few days are when you correct her or else u can forget abt trying to change or retrain her once she is used to her way of doing things.

PS: Everyone's telling me to be more patient and give her more time .. after all, this is her first 2 days of work only and she needs time to get used to how I want things done and how it should be done. Let's hope I will be kinder and most of all, that she can fill my basic expectations. If not, I gotta start looking around for another maid soon.

It's no wonder why I've changed 7 maids in my 4 yrs here in Vietnam - but of cos, I wasn't like this before, I was taught and "chided" by the husband for not supervising and training the maid properly and even went through a period without maid so I could train how to clean the house myself. Now that I can clean perfectly, my expectations are much higher! There's no escaping my sharp eyes.

Personal Notes: mugs still left in bedroom sink, dusbtin unemptied, floor mats not replaced, toilet n toilet surface not wiped again the next day until told and was returned with a surprised "clean everyday?".

No comments: