Wednesday, March 3, 2010

STUCK

Tarek and his family wants me to go with baby ALONE to Cairo.
(He cant take leave so soon again after his long CNY break)

I was planning on taking my Dad along - firstly, as a companion and to help me with things and secondly, because he always wanted to go to Cairo.

They would love to have Pa and Mom over but because this is the first time they are seeing the grandson, they want to spend time with him, take him around to the relatives etc. WITHOUT having to worry about entertaining or taking care of Pa (or anyone that I bring along). It is in their culture to provide hospitality so there is no such thing as having Pa tag along with me just to help me.

I feel like I am being PUSHED to go alone. And I am very unhappy n stressed because there is no way I am going to board the flight alone with the baby for 10 hrs (not including transit) - feed, change his nappy and put him to sleep and not be able to go toilet, eat, sleep or do anything. And when the baby screams n cries on the plane, they expect me to deal alone or pass the baby to the stewardess.

(By the time I actually arrive, if I am still in 1 piece, I will be ready to kill or will be crying my eyes out as soon as I get some privacy, if I get any!)

They think it's easy and that other mothers can do it, so can I. Tarek is even planning to make sure I get "stuck" there for at least 2 weeks! And even if he finds someone to go with me (as in for the flight only!), he is still going to expect me to come back alone.

For someone who never steps out of the house and already used to being alone and doing things at my time and pace, I will suddenly be thrown to my in-laws who will be planning all sort of things for me, in the hope that I can stay in Cairo and convince my husband to move back there. Tarek himself gets overwhelmed after a few days of his siblings here in his own environment but he thinks I will survive well being alone, without his support, in a foreign environment, with his family I see maybe once or twice a year.

Unfortunately, it is my duty to make sure my son is well aquainted with his family. And because we live so far away, I should take Rayhan to see them. Otherwise, the next alternative is to move back to Cairo.

PS: I dont doubt that I will be treated well. I'm sure Ray will enjoy all the attention and his family will be happy to see us. I just prefer if my husband is there with me or that I have someone at least that I can turn to, talk to.

Am I being a prima-donna (as Imi says)?

And that's where I am STUCK.

1 comment:

Holly Jean said...

DO NOT LET ANYONE BULLY YOU INTO DOING SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DO.

It is not solely your responsibility to make the effort to aquaint your son to his family. They're all adults, they are in a much more comfortable position to make a trip to Vietnam to see their family.. (compared to a baby!)

And yes, it is tough to travel such a distance alone with a baby. Don't let them tell you otherwise because no one will be going through that shit except you.

If going to Cairo so Ray can meet the family is Important to T, then he will make the effort to free up a week at work in order to do so. If not right now, then in the next few months.

If they cannot wait a couple of months then tough tits, make the trip to Vietnam then.