Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's been a week in Cairo

I havent got the time (or energy) to write a smart blog. Plus Ray-Ray is sick - more on that later!

So here's a quick summary of what I've been getting up to in Cairo:

Sunday:
Arrived @ 6plus in the morning. Was having breakfast with the family when we got news that Teta passed away at the hospital (around 10 plus). T and family were out whole day to take care of the burial arrangements while I stayed home with Rayhan, with the company of Hana.

The body is washed, prayers said and then burial takes place - all within the same day.

I'm sorry that we never got to see her before she passed. I'm sorry for T who must have felt awful (so near yet so far). Most of all, I'm sorry that with all good intentions, Rayhan and his great-grandmother never got to meet each other.

I heard before about Muslim burial practices but never quite imagined it to be like that. I din even get a chance to pay respects and commented to Tarek that it's so different from the Chinese practice. There's no "grieving" process, no closure, especially for relatives who are away and are not able to make it back in time to see the body for the last time.

No disrespect to the family. I'm sure everyone is grieving inside. But with Chinese practice, we sit at home or under the block (with the body) while people come to pay their last respects and say prayers. Here, it is almost like everything is back to normal - even though people do go to Teta's house to pay respect. I guess I'm just not used to the practice. I mean, some of us even went to see Mariah Carey the next day.

Monday:
- Hana took us to 2 baby shops and to see her El-Horreya shop. Then we had lunch with the family, chilled n got dressed for the Mariah event.

It is actually an event (something like a D&D) put up by the biggest telecommunications company here (equivalent of SingTel). As per all Cairo event, things only started around 11pm. Dinner was served after midnight!!! And by the time Mariah appeared, it was already 1.15am.

Photobucket
stage with pyramids as backdrop

Photobucket
I got to carry my Chanel

We were not prepared for the desert wind. It was freezing cold. I was miserable sitting in the cold with A. Najia & her friends. It was 4 hrs before we saw Mariah and we left within 10mins of her performance. It was disappointing, the cameras din zoom in on her so all we saw on stage n on the screen was a little doll in a black dress. Total waste of time!

Not that I was even interested to see her in the first place. I also wasnt comfortable leaving my baby (good thing T was with him). But the family are soooo trying to get me into the "social scene" and see how much Cairo has to offer (compared to "Boring Vietnam") and I thought I should make some effort.

I'd tell u what was worth it - seeing the Pyramids at night. They were magnificent. Apparently, they are going to stop allowing events there after the next 2 pre-agreed events. I'm glad I got to see it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tuesday:
Had our nails done. Stayed in. Tarek & Dad went to Teta's house in the evening. Hana went home to her house. Heba went out. I watched a DVD after Rayhan slept.

Wednesday:
Buffet breakfast @ the Conrad hotel - where U. Moni & Alex were staying.

Photobucket

Followed by a stroll around First Mall - which was disappointing as hell. We were shocked to learn that there is only 1 proper mall in Cairo - City Stars.

Today is the Funeral. Went to the mosque - there's an area outside *under the tents where people to come pay their respects and pray. The men and women in separate areas. Finally, by 10plus, I left first with the baby to go home while the family stayed on until all the guests left.

T and Hana had me freaked out n hiding behind the door - with Ray covered in the stroller for as long as he could stay put. They din want RayRay to catch the attention of the Evil Eye (especially at a place of "death"). And even Aunty Madiha told me to say "Msahallah" every time someone says Rayhan is cute/adorable etc.

Thursday:
Went over to Hana's house. She lives in an area called Maadi which I compared to An Phu (where all the expats live) and Phu My Hung (in terms of its infrastructure - nice, clean area).

There was a decent mall where people can take their babies out for a stroll. Did a bit of shopping. Actually, the husband tried to dress me out and took a lot of clothes that he think I will look "less kampong" in and said it's his treat. He thinks I lack self confidence and that I should always dress to impress so I can always feel good abt myself.

Also,I met a Hong Kong lady (Hana's friend) who's married to an Egyptian and very quickly made friends with her - She helped me out with suggestion for milk formula and diapers (we were running out and they din have any of the brands we find back home, much less the one that Rayhan is taking). More on that later.

I must say seeing Maadi has changed my opinion of Cairo. I could live here (that is, if I wanted to. That is another story which I will bring up later). Also, I am surprised to learn that there are MANY expats here, a lot of Asians too!

Friday:
Went to Ali Khalil's house - we came here last year. The beautiful big house with a nice huge pool.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The water was icy cold. As soon as I realised, I had him take Ray out immediately. I mean, he must be a real idiot to still put the baby in the water even though he knows the water is cold. It's not like Rayhan could say anything!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dinner at U. Maged's house where Rayhan meets Adam who is 3 weeks younger.
Photobucket

Photobucket
What a HUGE difference - and I dont just mean the size. Adam is a whopping 9plus kg and all he can and have been doing is eat (get stuffed), sleep and be carried. He can't sit, can't support himself on his tummy. Basically, he can't move cos of his body.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I feel sorry for the poor kid. I think his parents are not exposed enuf to realise that chubby (like this) is not healthy. I could gag at the amt of food they feed him. It's 4 times what Ray eats!

Photobucket

Saturday:
T out whole day - to help Yusef with wedding preps.

Heba had flown to Cannes for Naomi Campbell's birthday. Hana was at her own house. I felt stuck and I just wanted to get out. But drivers were busy and finally T rented a car for me so I din have to subject myself to people's schedules n timing.

Took Ray to Citystars. Spent a good 4 hrs at the mall walking around. Did some shopping but couldnt buy much because of baby, stroller, diaper bag etc.

Went to pick T up to go home after. Rayhan developed fever in the night. Good thing I have fever medicine with me. I think he must have caught a cold - from the weather (it's actually been pretty chilly), from T (who had a cold when he got here) and from the icy cold pool water.

Sunday:
T out whole day - appointments.

I had made plans to go Maadi to meet up with Sharon (Hong Kong girl) and Hana. But am currently stuck home tending to a sick baby and waiting for the doctor to call
(hopefully, it wont be rubber band Cairo time!)

Honestly, I already knew this was coming. It would be T's holiday - he spending time with family, catching up with friends etc. while I take care of the baby. With all good intentions, his family have showered lots of attention on Rays but it's always the few mins of fun then back to Mummy because they all have their own agendas n things to do. I must say, Hana has been the most helpful (and if they are trying to convince us to move back, which I will also talk abt later, only Hana is doing a decent job at it) but then she doesnt live in the same house.

Photobucket

No comments: