Monday, June 23, 2008

a not-so successful surprise

It's Tarek's 30th birthday next week... Apparently it's a big thing to hit the big 3-0 so I wanted to do something special for him.

I was seriously stressing cos I seem to be losing the passion to plan surprises n hv become more practical with the passing years. T had mentioned before he did not want any celebration or materialistic gifts... So it gave me a harder time figuring out what to do or get him.

Still, I tried to plan a birthday get-together and since Aman n V were leaving next week (before his birthday) to go to the States, I decided to bring forward his birthday celebration so that he could have his close fren share this special moment with him.

The date was set for Saturday, 21st June. Tarek had been bitching abt this pair of Gucci shoes that he really liked but I told him that I was superstitious abt buying shoes. So I secretly planned to get the boys to share to get it for him... I even made all the arrangements, I got Aman to check out the shoes in Italy. I took Tarek's shoe to the Gucci here n met with the manager whom i'm quite familiar with to ask him to hold a pair for me. But alas, the shoe was much too pricey for the guys who decided to get him something else.

So V and I had to run around town to find him something within the budget... and we finally decided on the Nintendo Wii which I had to pay for first (even though I am not part of it).

The surprise was spoiled on 2 occasions! He had gone onto my computer and saw an opened window of Gucci shoes on my internet explorer. Then he had come across my document in which I named T's birthday guest list with a list of people I was going to invite. Then Ramesh had to text him to say "sorry bro, I cant make it tonight. Have a great birthday" ... just as I thought "at least he doesnt know where or when!"

And then we were an hr late to get to UG from dinner... some of the guys had already left by the time we got there... and some were almost ready to leave.

We had a cake, drinks and then the guys gave him the present and set it up immediately to play a few rounds of "golf" ... After that, some of us headed to Velvet and Apocalypse to carry on partying into the night. I think he had a good time... although it wasnt a very successful surprise.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: