Friday, May 15, 2009

Baby Boy? Baby Girl?

"I think you're going to need circumcising" - that's how the gynae announced it to us. We are having a boy!

(well, at least he's 95% sure. Sometimes it could be the ambilical cord in the wrong position but he checked in various angles and is quite sure. Will get a second opinion in Spore hopefuly next week).

Today was our 4th month meeting with the gynae. I had prepared a whole list of questions for Dr Richie - to help me make a better decision on whether to deliver here or back in Singapore.
- One of my questions include, "if we have a boy, we are going to need circumcism, for religious reasons, are you able to do it?"

Needless to say, Tarek is over the moon. He kept going "Boy, Boy, Boy!" and insisted that he knew all along we are having a boy. His family is equally elated. His mom always prefered boys and already said she hopes I have a boy from Day 1. And I could hear his dad shouting for joy on the other side of the phone.

In a way, I am kinda relieved that it's a boy. Somehow I feel a little pressured given that he (and his family) wants a boy so much. Plus, since Tarek is the only son, this will be THE Elawadi grandson ... to pass the family name down to.

Also, because of all the recurring dreams of having a boy, added to the fact that Tarek and even the maid are insisting it's a boy, I have sort of come to believe it myself. I recently find myelf looking at blue stuff (I even bought a couple of baby blue mittens and hats) etc.

The only problem I have with a boy (on top of not being able to buy those pretty pink n purple baby girly stuff) is the names! Arabic / Muslim names are sooo MAT sounding especially for boys - the usual being Mohammed, Ahmed, Kareem, Hicham, etc. Of cos I am not going to pick anything traditional or "common" for my kid...For example, I really like the name "Reyhan" which means favored by God.

Yes people, my baby will have an Arabic/Muslim name. I did marry a Muslim after all ... so dont act so surprised. Even if you say you are not a traditional Chinese, you and definitely your parents are going to have certain expectations and values that you have to follow.

We are however looking to give the baby a Chinese middle name to mark the union of our 2 cultures and to remind the baby of his background.

Anyways, will get the in-laws to assist and any suggestions are welcome but I am going to stress that the baby name choosing will be entirely up to me and T and we might not reveal it because everyone is going to have something to say or add to it and we dont want that.

No comments: