While I was blissfully blogging my last entry, I was unaware that 2 men had broken into my house. I was up on the 3rd floor (in the computer room) when I heard some noises. I thought it was either the maid coming in or that Tarek had come back (It's a Public Holiday here today but he had to go into the office which was 20mins away to do some stuff).
Usually, I would have stayed on the computer but I thought it could be Tarek so I went down. Just as I was going down, I saw a person trying to enter into my bedroom and I soon realised it was neither the maid nor Tarek. I shouted "oei!" and then he panicked and another guy came out from the other room and they dashed downstairs and bolted. I heard motorbike zooming off so I knew they had gone.
I was in a state of shock. I din dare to give chase as I was a girl on my own and I was in my undies. It was like my reaction suddenly got impaired... I did not know wat to do, how to react and I went to get the phone and dialed Tarek. All done in slow motion while heaving deep breaths and shaking.
T came back immediately and investigated the whole house. They had climb over the wall, broken down my kitchen door and entered the house thinking that no one was at home since it's Public Hols today and tomorrow. And THANK GOD they went into my dressing room first - the cupboards were all opened... they had opened up a suitcase n found my laptop inside. Had I been a minute slower, they would have gone into my bedroom and taken everything else valuable in the room... Nothing was taken in their dash to escape. My laptop was thrown on the floor.
We've called the landlord. The maid's here to keep me company and take control of the situation. She helped me speak to the landlord to tell her to fix the kitchen door which cannot be closed now and we've called the police although I dont think the police is going to help with anything except to possibly extort money from us.
I still can't believe it happened. And to me! I always thought it was safe and just the other day during the BBQ, I had insisted that this house is very safe and there has been no cases of burglaries that I am aware of personally.
I suppose we need to step up on security measures and be on the constant look out. T, being the paranoid one, had bought several machetes (Parangs) which he kept in various locations at home. He reminded me to use them in the future and I said I am not about to become a heroine n give chase to 2 men waving my knife "bravely" in the air. And now, surely he's going to convince me again to go for krav maga (self defense) courses with him.
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment