Monday, February 2, 2009

A Romantic Gesture and An Impulsive Splurge

I got out of bed @ 12pm (Saigon time) today! I hadn't realise the time and must have been seriously jetlagged. Wonder how the husband is dealing with being back at work today.

The snow holiday feels like a dream now... I can't believe it's come and gone so quickly.

It was a good holiday - It certainly brought us closer as a family... even though I sat through hours and hours of Arabic chatter (as mentioned before, I have mastered the art of spacing out) especially during lunches and dinners. And although T spent most of his time out in the mountains doing his little adventures, this break definitely did the relationship some good.

Talking of which...

A Romantic Gesture

T did something romantic... totally out of the blue. When I went on his laptop to check my emails on Friday, I saw his new wallpaper.

He had written "T love (heartshape) J" in the snow. I'm guessing he did it on Friday morning after his survival thingy and had taken a pic of it and put it on his desktop.

Naturally I was taken by surprise. He's not a romantic and this was totally unexpected coming from him.

I've begged him to send me the pic so I can keep a copy for myself and also to blog it but he refuses!

*If only men realise that we are not (always) after blings or expensive gifts, it's little efforts like this that really touches us and will be remembered forever.

Impulsive shopping
I did something so stupid yesterday that I still cringe at the thought of it.

So, the story goes. I havent shopped at all this trip except for a couple of fridge magnets that I got for mum and Yen Kor. Then at Bangkok airport, I felt this urge to buy something so I dragged T into Chanel, Dior and the likes.

As always, T was not in the mood to shop and did not fail to remind me that it's credit crunch. Finally, I said when we were getting into Mont Blanc that this would be our last stop. I wanted to show him a pen that I've been eyeing. I thought of buying it for him as an anniversary present but the grumps just said, "Dont buy me anything".

One thing led to another and before I knew what had hit me, I ended up buying a pen for myself!

When I told Elsie about it, she bitched the hell out of me, saying that i'm crazy for spending on a pen! Especially when we are in the midst of an economic recession (I'm cringing because of the guilt!) "A tiffany's pen wld have cost MUCH lesser!"

My justications (in the hopes of making myself feel better) was that I was actually in Mont Blanc itself so it will be a nice way of remembering my holiday! Plus Mont Blanc pens are timeless!

Like I said, I am still cringing at the thought of it. This has got to be my biggest impulsive splurge of all times ... but ... at least it's a pretty good investment seeing that its timeless and won't go out of fasion or drop in value.

PS: I realised (and am disappointed in myself) that I am becoming more materialistic as I get exposed to these luxury items by his family. Just during the trip, I was admiring H's Chanel watch (she got it for her 18th birthday) and Chopard (for her graduation). Her Chopard wasn't working so we went to get it replaced in Geneva where she topped up a few hundred pounds to get the Black Happy Sport edition. These watches cost an absurb amt (Easily more than USD $5K).

While I have no appreciation (or the money) to spend on luxury watches, I learnt that they can be good investment. Elsie mentioned that painting and luxury watches will appreciate in value over time and are definitely worth buying ... better than spending on jewellery.

PS: My Vietnam sim card is dead... Will not be contactable until I get a replacement.

No comments: