- safe, non adventurous, stick to the norm, doing only what they are told to do. No questions asked.
But not my brother and I. While I'm the bad egg that moved out to live with a guy before marriage, left the country, marrying someone from another country, culture, religion, my brother seeks another sort of adventure. His passion is in riding and motorbikes.
He once told me "I hope to ride up to Vietnam one day". And recently, it seemed he was close to fulfilling his dream. He was riding up to Phuket, Thailand.
Then yesterday morning, I was woken up by 2 msges. The designer that I've been working and fighting to meet deadlines with has met with a bike accident and was in the hospital. It was followed by another message from my mom saying that Jason got into a slight accident on his way back from Phuket.
Still half asleep, I called home to find out wat happened and was struggling to understand my mom's story (she was switching between English and Chinese in every sentence in an attempt to explain in her worried state).
Finally, I decided to call my brother's friend who was with him to find out the first hand story so that I could calm my parents down.
The whole day was spent making calls to and fro - my bro, my parents, anyone who could help. Getting updates and updating each other.
Jason had suffered slight injuries - abrasions, slight fracture of his wrist and 4 minor stitches. The bike was damaged and so he wasnt able to ride back. The cart driver who was hit was demanding for an absurb compensation - Jason had to negotiate and come to a settlement before he could claim back his bike and find a way to transport it back home. Finally, it was decided that the best way was to get someone to drive them to hat yai (thai borders) and then catch a train back with his bike. That was going to take almost 2 days for the whole journey.
When my family n I learnt that it is dangerous at the thai borders with all the terrorist activities and bombings that had been going on, we were even more worried than when we heard abt the accident. We just wanted him back - FLY HOME - IMMEDIATELY. Forget abt the bike - get it shipped back. We dont care how much it costs.
My parents were freaking out. I was stressing out - calling home, calling my brother, asking around for connections and people who might be able to help. Dont think Tarek saw me in this state before. He was like, If you are like that, I cant imagine what state your parents are in now.
So anyway, Jason ended up in Krabi where his frens in Spore found a sporean mechanic who has a shop there and could help him. He is taking the next available flight home - tonight. My parents are taking tomorrow off to be with him and my aunt has offered to drive them tonight. And his wonderful friends are going to the airport to give him and his friend a warm welcome back.
I wish I was could be home with them right now and welcome my bro back - but with tight deadlines and an injured designer, I have worries of another sort right now.
Anyways, my brother is simply amazing. He actually told me (during the hustle and bustle of negotiation at the police station yesterday) that "This is not going to stop me from riding".
What an adventure! The huge amount of losses and money spent can well be said to have been spent on memories that are worth a lifetime! And the knowledge that our family is so united and strong!
No comments:
Post a Comment