Friday, November 30, 2007

Are you a Sampler? (By Barbara Sher)

I have nice friends, a nice family, and a nice life, and I don't mind my job. But there is that nagging feeling that something is missing. When I go looking for what that could be, many things look good, but nothing looks exciting. I wish I knew what I was looking for.

You want more excitement in your life but not the jumping-out-of-planes variety. In fact, you often have a hard time explaining exactly what's missing.

You're clear that you want more creativity in your life, not in any special area, but in as many as possible - but you don't know how to make that happen. What you're looking for and where to get it, though, are far from clear.

These Samplers love to travel as much as they can to learn about other cultures, or they take a cooking class on one night and a sword-fighting class on another. To a specialist, a Sampler's level of interest is incomprehensible. To a Sampler, however, a specialist misses too many wonderful things in life, and the Sampler understands that the only way to do it all is to do it small.

Make a display and admire these records of your travels/experience. They make good souvenirs/keepsakes of happy times well spent - Get reminded that you have been spending time learning to do these new things.

(extracts from "What do I do when I want to do Everything" by Barbara Sher)

No comments: