I have to admit it was mostly my own doing. I had carried with me a mindset that I would stop when he is around 6 months old. I had been stressed that I wasn't feeding him enough so I turned to formula to monitor. And as much as I've exposed my boobs to half the world by now, I welcomed the idea of giving bottle in public.
Alas, it hasn't saved me on any convenience as it involves waking up, making formula and feeding him instead of just plonking him on my boobs and falling back to sleep. Then there is also the bottle washing and sterilising that follows.
Now that I am coming to terms with the end of breastfeeding, I kinda feel a nagging sense of loss. Truth be told, I had enjoyed the fact that he needed me (for milk and comfort), that I had been the only one who could calm him (by just plugging him into my boobs). I had also savored the bond when he was suckling and I have often been amazed by this miracle that God had given us mothers - there is milk coming out of my boobs! Then of cos, there was also the knowledge at the back of my mind that I was providing him with the best nutrition.

"Mummy, I'm growing bigger n bigger every day!"
All is said and done as we move on to another chapter in life - Feeding solids and weaning him. PS: My left booby is still milking enuf to provide him with 1-2 feed per day (although that is dropping as well). Funny how I started with left booby having more milk than the right one and now ending with left booby as well. Maybe because my right armpit is smellier!)
I'm stressed about feeding solids. I just realised it's a huge commitment and responsibility in itself. No more just making formula (adding water only) and feeding him with it. I now have to make food, think of the "menu for the week", feed him with a variety of fruits and vegetables (which I myself dont eat!) - all of which takes a lot of effort (on top of keeping up with an increasingly mobile and active baby!).
Did I mention that he is crawling? well, not exactly crawling yet - it's more like the commando crawl, mostly on his elbows and tummy with the occasional knee and lifting of the bum.
We bought a soft foamy mat to put on the floor so he can practise and develop his crawling techniques.


I'm finding it hard to keep up with his constant need be on the move to which I've been trying to think of ways to entertain and tire him out.
What do you do with a baby for 24hrs a day (except when he's napping or sleeping)? I tried to let him splash himself tired in the pool. I take him out on his stroller some evenings. I make an effort to meet up with frens n their babies so I can expose Ray to other kids. There are days when I just don't know what else to do! We sing, we tickle, we play "mummy's coming to catch you" (I have a hilarious video of this on my hp btw)... but seriously I'm running out of ideas and I'm pretty sure he's getting sick of seeing my face all day every day.
PS: Another idealistic viewpoint which I had before having a baby, which I have already abandoned, is no TV. OMG! I can totally understand why mummies and nannies turn to the TV to distract their kids! Having him space out in front of the TV has been sooooo helpful when it comes to feeding time. Otherwise his hands will be pushing or grabbing the spoon and making an absolute mess all over.
No comments:
Post a Comment