Tuesday, February 26, 2008

How to Write Your Vows

Photobucket

Step 1: Acknowledge the significance of the day
You can make it light: “taking this leap into the future is the surest thing I’ve ever done.” Or heavy: “I’m honored that you are standing here today making this commitment with me.”

Step 2: Say Something about your courtship
Be specific about a certain time or take a general approach (“Having you as an anchor has allowed me to take risks I’d never dreamed of”)

Step 3: Mention one thing you particularly love about the person
As in, “Your curiosity about the world turns even the smallest errand into an adventure” or “You are a great listener, even when you disagree with me”

Step 4: Bring in a hope for your future“Growing old sounds great when I know we’ll do it together” or “I can’t wait to see how you bring your sense of wonder to fatherhood”

Step 5: Make a promise
Be serious, as in “I vow to stand by you with pride, even when success seems far away” or finish with a smile: “I’m going to try my best to keep you laughing for the next fifty years”

If all else fails, simply fill in the blanks below


__________ (name of fiancé/fiancée), you are ____________ (my truest companion/ my dearest love/ my perfect match/ the one I want to be with forever/ the light of my life/ the person who fills my heart).

Today I take you to be my ________ (husband/wife/partner). I promise that I will be ___________ (faithful/ loyal/ supportive/ with you/ beside you) in everything you do.

I vow to __________ (honor you/ cherish you/ value you/ hold you/ support you/ laugh and cry with you) ___________ (so long as we both shall live/ for the rest of our lives/ until the end of time.

No comments: