When I first came to Vietnam, I carried along my Singaporean pride that Singapore is the best - clean, top standards, good quality everything.
I looked down on the people, their uncivilised ways, their dirty streets, their stinkiness and their immoral behavior.
As I adapted to this country, I started to love it for its authencity. These so called uncivilised manners were charms of an undeveloped country. If you look back, Singapore was no different 20 years ago.
With Vietnam fast developing into a modern city, I found that I miss the old french-style architecture, the city that was once made up of a disorganised array of buildings (all in different heights, shapes and colors). I miss being amazed at the amount of people & things one can balance on a motorcycle. I miss seeing women walking around in their pyjamas (I used to call it their national costume cos back when I first came, most people did not wear jeans, skirts, pants etc. Instead they wore pj looking clothes). I even miss seeing men pee along the streets (although I cant say the same for people spitting, snorting everywhere).
Now, Vietnam is filling up with sky scrapers, losing its old charms and fast becoming like any other city in the world. I applaud the country for its progression and will continue to look back on fond memories of the 'old' Vietnam that I was exposed to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment