Wedding planning is a source of argument.
People will always have something to say.
Planning a wedding can make or break a relationship.
ALL TRUE.
I am one of those girls who have been planning her dream wedding as early as her adolescence. I love the idea of fairytale weddings and the romance of it all and have shed a tear or two at the weddings I've attended and watched in movies.
I always thought I would be the happy bride planning one of the biggest days of her life and have even felt sorry for the unlucky girls who shared their stories about the horrors they've had to go through.
My experience, as exciting and fun as it has been, has encompassed a fair amount of nightmares and stress. In fact, it is almost an insight into the life that is to come.
- An "I'm too busy" fiance who seems to take matters very lightly and who is as uninvolved as a guest coming to attend the wedding. No doubt, it leaves me the freedom and unrestricted space to do whatever I want and plan the wedding my way but being the hopeless romantic, this was the MOMENT to look forward to together, to plan together, to make decisions together.
We are 2 months away from the wedding - the fiance has not seen the hotel, does not know who the photographer, videographer, solemniser, emcee, DJ, florist etc are. His only involvement to date is having put together his guest list and sent out the invitations on his end and PLAN HIS bachelor's party.
Coming from very different backgrounds, culture and tradition, I am always having to fear not being able to meet up to the high expectations of the opinionated in-laws.
Which brings us to ....
- the family. Who instead of giving support, sharing the joy and being there for you to advise and help out, have overwhelmed us with comments and criticism which has helped with nothing but add to the pressure and the stress.
Why this. why that. why not this. why not that. Do this. Do that. I want this. I want that.
I know I know... it's about about 'face', pride, wanting the best for your son/daughter, showing to the world etc.
BUT if only they can see and rejoice in the fact that we love each other. That it is about a union, a joining, a bigger family, an openess to each other's differences, an acceptance.
At the rate we are going, I think we might as well just call off the wedding. Exhausted from having to fight these battles and trying to please everybody, we are almost losing reasons and forgetting why we are getting married in the first place. If a wedding can turn out to be such a nightmare, then a marriage will be even worse. And without the support and welcome of family and friends, how can a couple stand against the trials and difficulties that life bring?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment